The purrs and grrrss of a wandering and wondering Kat
Sunday, January 13, 2008
CFA exams - to do or not to do......
15 February 2008 - the next CFA deadline registration for the June 2008 examination. That is less than one month away for me to ponder and decide. I have had this dilemma for at least one and a half years now. Each time the CFA exams deadline registration looms, I will always contemplate should I or should I not do it. The same question will be played over and over again in my mind.

1. Do I need the qualification?
I am already a (professionally) qualified bean counter. Even though I only needed to get slightly more half the exams (>50%) to get my qualifications, I am pretty sure that I could still do some analyst work if I need to. So why would I need another qualification. My only justification is that it would give me the option of working in more sectors (specifically financial , banking related) sectors should I wish to leave the industry.

2. Why am I even considering to do CFA if there is no obvious benefit?
One reason could be because I am feeling a bit KIASU and that I need to do this to differentiate myself from other people. I (or we all) live in a very competitive world. Nowadays more and more people have extra letters behind their names and the number of professionally qualified bean counters are getting "un-countable" (if there is such a word). Especially so in the organisation where I work, where supposedly "the cream of the cream" of the Malays are all competing to get to the bottleneck top. One needs to do what want needs to do to get ahead. Perhaps this is what I need - extra amour to support myself against the other competitors.....

Another reason is because I (think) I have free time here in Vietnam. My working hours are still as crazy here, but the social engagements and commitments are definitely a lot less here compared to my life in KL. So if I were to consider doing any more exams, this would a very good time to do it. The (slight) extra income here helps a lot. At least I can afford to pay for the exam fees. Rather than spending more of my money on other stuff (my expensive hobby - travelling), I could invest some of it to my future.........

3. Am I ready to slug it?

This is the hardest dilemma for me. Can i really put myself through the excruciating torcher of studying whilst working. I worked my ass off and went through hell - back and forth and many times over when I was trying to get my previous exams out of the way. But I had many reasons to push me and points to prove....And completing the exams was one of the hardest things that I have done in my life. When I finished passed my finals, I thought I could never do an examination EVER again.... until now......

The problem for me now is I do not like to do things half way and if i do something I want to do it properly and see it through till the end. That would mean real , 100% unwaivering commitment.Do I want this bad enough. I am just worried that if my motivation for doing this exam is not right, that means I will not push myself the way I should.... and risk not getting the qualification in the first place...

So for the time being, I am at a cross road and have been here for some time. Instead of taking the plunge and decide one way or another, I procrastinate on my decision and keep contemplating ......To do or not to do... that is the question.......

Labels:

scratched by Scatty-Kat @ 11:54 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At February 5, 2008 at 1:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    go ahead.. try your best. pondering about it gets you to no where..

     
  • At February 9, 2008 at 9:38 PM, Blogger Scatty-Kat said…

    adam.ah

    thanks for the encouragement. Looks like i have decided to postpone it one more time. since im too busy getting ready for my next holiday.. (now in KL, back in Vn only on 24th) so by time that dah deadline dah... hehhe.. nampak sgt takde focus....

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Scatty-Kat
Home: Malaysia
About Me: Most cats, when they are Out want to be In, and vice versa, and often simultaneously. That is me. Itchy feet. Restless. Dreams about grass being greener on the other side
See my complete profile
Previous Scratches
Archives
Shoutbox

If ignorance is bliss then why do we seek knowledge

Favourite Bloggers
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER