The purrs and grrrss of a wandering and wondering Kat
Sunday, February 3, 2008
Let's learn some Viet-glish

One of my biggest challenge of working here is the communication breakdown with the local staff. The weird thing is, most of them have taken some form of English proficiency test either at intermediate or advanced level. And most even have passed the test.Yet I find it hard to understand them. The most common problem is when asking them to pronounce anything that begins with a "P" or ends with an "S". The P becomes a "B" - because there is no alphabet P in their language. The "s" ... i don't really know why. They have the alphabet but just not used at the end of a sentence.

So you can imagine how confusing it can be when the following words are used in a conversation:

Scenario 1

Boss = Bot(h)
Post = Bot(h)
Pot = Bot
Piss= Bit
Yes = Yet

And if gaving an instruction like so....
"Both your bosses want you to post this asap or they will be very pissed"
.... and will be repeated as
"Yet, (*) Bot your bot(h) want you to bot this asap or they will be very bit"

* - Vietnamese normally start their sentences with Yes.. But or No especially when responding to anything - conversation or orders..., so even when asked to repeat your instructions, they tend to start with their usual..yes... or yes..but.... or No


Scenario 2

Following from the above scenario, this is the conversation that I had: (from real life experience)

Me: Have you sent the documents by registered post or fast courier?
Staff: (Spelling here to reflect local accent). I ekplen to you (**). I call the offit to get the addret. It ok.
Me: You are not answering my question.
Staff: Yet. Yet. I see. I see.
Me: No you don't see.
Staff: I see. I see.
Me: No you DON'T see. What do you see? Oh my god, this is frustrating.
Staff: You wait me one minute. I ekplen you **. I call the offit to get the addret. It ok.
Me: (Had to start changing my own accent) Wait! Top it. Listen to my question. You pot oredi?
Staff: Oredi
Me: You ut fat bot? (You use fast post?)
Staff: I ut regitter kuwer
Me: WHAT?? What is that?
Staff: Yet. Yet. It ok. fat bot. same same reggitter kuwer. (By that time, she started to put it in writing...... reggitter kuwer = registered courier...)

** - Most Vietnamese that I know are very methodical especially with their thinking; almost as if they have been programmed to start everything, every conversation from the beginning. In this instance, she must explain from beginning the process that she has done to complete the task from A-Z, rather than just jump to the end result.

I have many many more examples that I can think of. It can be funny at times but most of the time the communication breakdown drives me up the wall!! Imagine if simple instructions like posting something can take such an effort, how difficult it really is trying to explain technical stuff......... At the end of the day ... my tips for viet-glish survival..
  • Lots and lots of patience (which i don't have lots of, see previous post)
  • Talk very slowly;
  • Be prepared to repeat yourself many many times;
  • Adapt the local accent;
most important of all..
  • Get ready for your English to deteriorate :P

Labels:

scratched by Scatty-Kat @ 8:40 PM  
10 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Scatty-Kat
Home: Malaysia
About Me: Most cats, when they are Out want to be In, and vice versa, and often simultaneously. That is me. Itchy feet. Restless. Dreams about grass being greener on the other side
See my complete profile
Previous Scratches
Archives
Shoutbox

If ignorance is bliss then why do we seek knowledge

Favourite Bloggers
Powered by

Free Blogger Templates

BLOGGER